Hoek van 't IJ
Also known as Vuurtoreneiland, or ‘Lighthouse Island’, the first lighthouse built at this location at the Hoek van ‘t IJ (Corner of the IJ) dates back to 1699: it was a 19-metre-high square tower built from brick, topped by a lantern with an oil lamp. In 1892, this building was replaced by the current octagonal tower made of cast iron and steel. The lighthouse received the status of national monument in 1981.
The renovation of the lighthouse was part of the redevelopment of the island. It was in dire need of maintenance after decades of exposure to wind and harsh weather. We sailed two pontoons to the island in November 2018 so we could conduct all renovation work on-site. First, the concrete was renovated, and then we started on the ironwork. Finally, the whole tower was cleaned and painted.
Let there be light.
The renovation was completed in the spring of 2019. And now it is possible to – once again admire the (only) lighthouse of Amsterdam. Even the lights are fully functioning!